In 2014, Second Life Home and Garden Expo (HGE, or Expo, if you will) is celebrating its seventh anniversary as the premiere Home and Garden event on the grid, and as a Relay For Life for Second Life (RFLofSL) mega-event.
100% of the funds collected from sponsors, exhibitors, contributors, Relay For Life vendors and kiosks, the Live Auction, Silent Auction, Raffle ticket sales, and the RFLofSL gatcha machines, get paid to RFLofSL, in support of cancer research. RFLofSL is an American Cancer Society fundraiser, but research for a cure is globally supported, with 15% of the research funds getting dispersed internationally. After all, cancer is a global problem.
In this milestone year, Expo has a new coordinator, Kat Alderson, and new Blogging Coordinators, Eden Knoller and Joonie Jatho. Together, with other new program coordinators and consultants, we’re rolling out a host of new programs, new participation and sponsorship opportunities, improved navigation, and extensive shopping guides.
We’ll be offering Official Online and Notecard Shopping Guides for each of the exhibitors sims, as well as a master shopping guide, presented in alphabetical order by store. We’ll also be offering product guides for both of the pay-for-play hunts, the Raffle, Silent Auction, and Gatcha programs.
For bloggers, we’re rolling out an exciting new opportunity, as well as changing criteria for our more traditional blogger role:
Official HGE Third Party (Traditional) Bloggers:
An excellent opportunity to grow your audience, discover new stores, and make new contacts in the blogging community as well as in the home and garden community.
We are currently seeking third-party bloggers interested in blogging home and garden items, as well as in promoting the Second Life Home and Garden Expo and our fundraising efforts.
Official HGE Third Party Bloggers will receive Press Kits with information about our exhibitors, sponsors, staff, and programs, as well as early access to the event on our Press Preview days, September 14 and 15, 2014.
Preference will be given to those applicants who:
- frequently use home and decor items in their posts
- provide information about the products and the event in their posts
- thoroughly credit the items in their photographs
- use high quality and interesting photographs
- are willing to post in the HGE Flickr group
- have the ability to work within time constraints
- A group slot will be necessary from the time your application is accepted, through the end of the event (September 28).
- Availability on one or both of the Press Preview days (September 14 and 15).
- Four posts, published no later than September 25, 2014, featuring products at Expo, or information about our programs, interviews with exhibitors or sponsors, or photographs taken at Expo, with SLURL links back to the event or an URL link to the Expo blog.
Please take note:
A blogger platform will not be used, as the Expo experience is much dependent on the displays our exhibitors and sponsors go to much trouble to set up. Additionally, review copies and/or blogger gifts are at the sole discretion of our exhibitors and sponsors. Should exhibitors and sponsors wish to offer review copies and/or bloggers gifts, we will suggest they mark them with provided stickers, for your convenience.
Applications are accepted at the discretion of Eden Knoller, Kat Alderson and Joonie Jatho, and the Relay For Life Event Chair, and may be denied without explanation. You will be notified of your acceptance by September 7, 2014. Please do not contact us prior to that date.
Official HGE Third Party Bloggers will be listed and linked to from the Expo blog.
Ready to apply? Click HERE!
Online Shopping Guide Staff Positions:
An excellent opportunity for hard working team players looking to gain experience working on a large event.
We are currently looking for 12 experienced bloggers for our Online Shopping Guide Staff. Prepping the Expo Online Shopping Guides (Expo OSG) is a vital role, as you will be instrumental in promoting not only the donation items raising funds for RFLofSL, but many of the other new releases and prizes being offered by our extraordinary exhibitors and program contributors.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Availability, with flexible hours from August 30, 2014 to September 28, 2014.
- Previous blogging experience (WordPress is preferable)
- Accuracy (an eye for detail is essential).
- Grace under pressure with the ability to follow through and meet deadlines.
- Ability and willingness to follow instructions.
- Ability and willingness to work with others.
- One group slot available for the Staff group. (From the time of acceptance through May 28 – an additional Blogger group slot will be necessary if you wish to apply as an Official Expo Third-Party Blogger ).
Applications will be reviewed by Eden Knoller and Roman Godde and acceptance is at their sole discretion. They will also handle all Expo OSG assignments and instructions.
Expo OSG Staffers will have Press access to the event, on September 14 and 15, before the event opens to the public on September 16.
Expo OSG Staffers will be acknowledged for their contributions in the Press and Visitor Kits, as well as on the Expo blog.
Ready to get started? Click HERE to fill out an application!